Delectable dairy free yoghurt that can be whipped up in minutes! Such a ‘yoghurt’ is a god send to those who cannot consume foods from the dairy family due to reactivities. This dairy free yoghurt uses creamy silken tofu that can be blended with additional flavours to create a lovely vanilla base.
By all means use this yoghurt as a base recipe, then go to town with adding your own extras. Personally I love it with mango and drizzled with maple, then finally a sprinkle of hemp seeds or pumpkin seeds for a little crunch.
dairy free yoghurt
- 2-3 serves
- preparation time
- 5 minutes
- cooking time
- 300gm silken tofu, preferable organic
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (dependent on level of sweetness desired)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till creamy and smooth.
Note: To add different flavours experiment with adding fruits such as mango, berries, figs, stone fruit and other favourites.
- Soy beans are packed with isoflavones such as genistein and daidzein that are potent hormone modulators. Soy beans have the ability to modulate oestrogen receptors, up regulating if your oestrogen is too low, and conversely down regulating if your oestrogen is too high. Soy has received a lot of media lately in regards to detrimental effects on hormones. Generally, if you are a healthy female without a history of breast cancer or hormone cancers then I believe soy is not a problem in your dietary intake, as long as it is not excessive. Consuming soy in similar intakes to Asian style diets has shown in studies to not result in increased risk/development or outcome of hormone stimulated healthy problems.
- Use this yoghurt as a base and experiment with adding different flavours through fruits. You could also add cacao powder for a chocolate spin which would be quite luscious.
- Dairy free yoghurt can be eaten alone or used as a topping on muesli, granola, pancakes and more. It is also delicious in smoothies.
- Dairy free yoghurt is high in protein and very low in sugars. This makes it a fabulous snack for sustaining your blood sugar levels, especially in the afternoons.