Smoothies are fabulous for the hot weather. They are also a really great way of packing a lot into a liquid meal on the go. If you are using a smoothie as a main meal, it is important to add some complex carbs to keep you going. Try adding a few tablespoons of quinoa flakes or oat bran.
- 1 person
- preparation time
- 2 minutes
- cooking time
- 1/4 cup mixed berries or 1 passionfruit (or other fruit of choice such as papaya or kiwi fruit)
- 1/2 banana or 1 lady finger banana, frozen if desired
- 1 dessertspoon pepitas
- 1 tablespoon lecithin (omit if soy intolerant)
- 2 heaped dessertspoons or 1 scoop of protein powder (non whey based for those dairy intolerant such as carob/rice/pea/soy/hemp) OR, use 1 raw egg as a protein alternative
- 1 heaped teaspoon flaxseeds
Place all ingredients in blender and blend till smooth. Pour and enjoy!
- Pepitas are rich in zinc essential for the immune system, stomach acid production and collagen production. Fruits such as papaya naturally aids digestion. Kiwi fruit, passionfruit and berries provide antioxidant vitamin C.
- Protein powders are high in amino acids vital for hormone and neurotransmitter function. The protein in this smoothie makes it a great choice for after a resistance training work out.
- Lecithin helps emulsify fats and aids brain function.
- Flaxseeds are rich in omega 3 and lignans which are beneficial for hormone balance.