Toasting sunflower seeds prior to making this sunflower seed butter will create more of a roasted peanut flavour. Otherwise, keeping them raw will keep their neutral, creamy taste.
sunflower seed butter
- lasts 1-2 weeks
- preparation time
- 10 minutes
- cooking time
- 10 minutes (if dry roasting)
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds (pre toasted if desired)
- good pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp of a neutral oil such as grape seed or rice bran oil.
In a coffee grinder or good blender blend the seeds until they are a powder like consistency (similar to a nut meal). Add the salt and 2 tbsp of the oil. Blend again till mixture comes together. If needed, add the extra tablespoon of oil. The paste should come together and resemble a thick ‘peanut butter’. If needed, add a little more oil. Store seed paste in a container in the fridge.
nutritional information for sunflower seed butter
- Roast sunflower seeds on 180c for 6-8 minutes or until slightly golden. This will bring out their natural oil and create more of a sweeter and nutty butter.
- Sunflower seeds are rich in omega 6 making them a useful therapeutic food for hormone imbalances.
- Seed paste is rich in essentially fats which keeps the skin nourished and healthy.
- This paste can be made without oil. However, it will require blending for approximately 15-20 minutes. Eventually, the fine powder becomes grainy, then clumps together, then finally forms a ball and loosens up into a paste.