Greens smoothies have become a bit of a rage at the moment. They seem to go up and down in popularity in the health arena. Essentially a green smoothie is all about adding some leafy greens or green powders that are full of minerals, non-heme iron and are additionally alkalising to the system.
Green smoothies need balance of flavour. There is no point chugging down some green goo if you don’t enjoy it! Food should be pleasurable, so the aim of this green smoothie is to provide an abundance of nutrition, yet plenty of taste.
alkalising green smoothie recipe
- 1 person
- preparation time
- 2 minutes
- cooking time
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tablespoons plan flavoured dairy free protein powder
- 1 banana, frozen if desired
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut cream, preservative free
- 1 handful of baby spinach or 1 heaped teaspoon of wheatgrass or spirulina powder
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth and creamy.
nutritional information for alkalising green smoothie
- Green powders such as wheat grass and spirulina are rich in chlorophyll, a well known ‘blood cleansers’ and have potent alkalising activity.
- Cinnamon adds natural sweetness and warmth to a smoothie which is important from a TCM perspective.
- When buying coconut milk go for brands that do not contain stabilisers and additives.