Polenta chips are a great alternative to fries and are a really good medium for carrying flavours of herbs, cheeses and marinated vegetables. Polenta is naturally gluten free and when cooked in this way gives a delicious crunch. This recipe is adapted from Produce to Platter, Jens Schroeder.
polenta fries with lemon and goats cheese sauce
- serves 4
- preparation time
- 15 minutes, plus 3 hours setting
- cooking time
- 10 minutes
- 500 ml water
- 200g fine polenta
- 30g grated pecorino cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
- splash of truffle oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- lemon and goats cheese sauce:
- 50g chevre cheese
- 20g diced hard goats cheese
- zest one lemon and juice
- splash sweet vermouth
- Salt and pepper to season
Boil water and add the polenta, stirring until smooth. Add the grated pecorino and chopped herbs with seasoning. Stir through and add either the olive oil or truffle oil.
Place the polenta into a pre oiled tray and smooth out till flat. Pop in the fridge for around 3 hours to set.
Once set, cut polenta into chips, long rectangular shape is great) and pan fry in rice bran oil until golden. Serve with lemon goats cheese sauce.
Lemon and goats cheese sauce:
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth and creamy.
- Truffle oil is quite pungent, so if you don’t like the flavour use olive oil.
- The cheeses used in this dish make it a cows milk free, creamy snack. You could use blue cheese in the cheese sauce if you like as this would marry well with the truffle oil.
- Polenta is a corn meal. If you are intolerant to corn you could use buckwheat polenta from health food stores.