An open sandwich is the perfect weekend lunch. Its a good chance to use up what may be left in the fridge such as dips, leafy greens, bits of cheese, sprouts and left over meats. Weekends are generally about no fuss, plus its also nice to mix it up from the hum drum of the busy week. An open sandwich gives you the option to use different on hand toppings, with ideally getting that good mix of fresh veg, protein and some good quality fats.
easy open sandwich
- 1 person
- preparation time
- 5 minutes
- cooking time
- 1-2 sliced of a good grainy bread, or gf if needed
- beetroot hummus*
- small handful of baby spinach
- goats feta for crumbling
- juice 1/4 lemon
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- left over meat, sliced
Mix juice of the lemon into mayo and set aside. Toast up 1-2 pieces of bread, dependent on how hungry you are. Top one with beetroot hummus, baby spinach and crumbled feta and the other with baby spinach, sliced meat, lemon mayo.
*you can buy good quality beetroot hummus or make your own.
- Be adventurous with your leafy greens. Greens don’t have to always be lettuce based. You can try fresh herbs instead like parsley, basil or coriander.
- When making your open sandwich, always try to include some protein as this will keep you going for longer and keep your blood sugar levels stable. Vegetarian sources of protein could be feta cheese, legumes, sliced tempeh or grilled tofu.
- If you are egg intolerant, you could substitute the mayo for avocado mixed with the lemon juice for a creamy alternative.