Decadent raw brownies made solely from a luxurious blend of the best quality dates, cacao and raw walnuts that you can find. These raw brownies literally melt in your mouth and I believe taste even better than the real deal. The high nut content and dates make these brownies quite calorie dense, so treat them as a moderation snack.
- 8 – 10 slices
- preparation time
- 5 minutes + 3 – 4 hours chilling
- cooking time
- 1 cup whole walnuts
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/2 cup extra of chopped walnuts
- pinch of sea salt
Place walnuts and almonds in food processor and blend to a ground nut meal. Add the cacao and salt and blend till combined.
Add dates one at a time while the food processor is still running. When finished, the mixture should stick together and look a little like crumbled cake. If it is not sticky enough, then simply add more dates.
Combine the brownie mix with the chopped walnuts. Press firmly into a lined square cake tin. Place in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours or freeze for 1 1/2 hours. Once cold, cut into squares and store in the fridge (or freezer).
Dust with raw cacao to serve.
- Walnuts are a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids that are important for cardiovascular health and reducing inflammation. They are also high in B6, folate, magnesium and manganese.
- Dates provide the sweetness in these raw brownies. Dates are very high in simple sugars which is why this raw brownie slice should be enjoyed in moderation. Dates are a lovely source of potassium and are high in insoluable fibre.
- Raw desserts and snacks are quite trendy at present. They do provide an abundant source of vitamins, minerals and essential fats, however they still should be enjoyed in small amounts as they are very high in sugars. Raw foods in excess can also cause quite a strain on the digestive system if you have a sensitive gut.