The concept of this lychee nectarine and mint summer salad was to create an easy mid-week accompaniment to quick protein such as grilled fish or lamb. This salad is also made to serve one, as many people I see are working late hours and need a quick meal for themselves when arriving in the door late in the evenings.
If you have never used fruit in a salad then you are in for a delightful treat. The sweetness of the lychees and the nectarines are cut by the freshness of the mint and the peppery olive oil. The lemon brings all the ingredients together with its lovely acid finish.
lychee nectarine and mint summer salad
- 1 person
- preparation time
- 5 minutes
- cooking time
- 1 handful mixed leafy greens
- 6 freshly peeled lychees
- 1/2 nectarine, sliced
- good handful mint leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon hemp seeds ( or other seeds/nuts of choice)
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- cracked pepper
On a serving platter or directly on a plate scatter the mixed lettuce leaves. Top with freshly peeled lychees and nectarine slices. Scatter with mint leaves and hemp seeds. Drizzle salad with lemon juice, a generous lug of olive oil and a good pinch of cracked pepper.
Serve salad as a refreshing side dish to bbq meats, grilled salmon or other seafood.
- This lychee, nectarine and mint salad is a great base recipe. Try adding generous chunks of avocado and grilled haloumi to create a more hearty salad that stands on its own.
- Lychees are loaded with vitamin C and contain good levels of potassium.
- Studies have shown that the methanol extract from fresh mint has considerable antibacterial and anti fungal activity. Regular intake of mint leaves may help ward-off the initial colonisation of detrimental microbes.
- If hemp seeds are not easy to find then go for lovely crushed hazelnuts or pine nuts.
Jessica Cox is a qualified practicing Nutritionist with a Bachelor Health Science (Nutrition) and over 15 years of clinical experience. She is the founder and director JCN Clinic, published author and established recipe developer. Jessica is well respected within health and wellness space for her no fad approach and use of evidence-based nutrition.