Egg free Banana Oat Pancakes are made light and fluffy here with the addition of flaxseeds for binding and banana for moisture and rise. These banana oat pancakes are served Canadian style with maple syrup and free range bacon. This recipe is adapted from Cookie + Kate.
banana oat pancakes recipe
- 2 people
- preparation time
- 10-15 minutes
- cooking time
- 5-10 minutes
- 1 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground flaxseeds and 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup ground oats or oat bran (use quinoa flakes for gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice
In a small bowl combine the flaxseed meal and water and allow to sit for 5 minutes until it begins to swell a little. In the mean time mix together mashed bananas, grape seed oil, lemon juice and maple syrup.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the ground oats or oat bran, baking soda, salt and five spice. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Add the flaxseed mix and stir till just combined. Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes or so. After this time you can add more liquid if you feel it is necessary.
Heat a fry pan to a medium heat and add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. Add a good 3 tablespoons of batter to the pan to create your pancake, following with another 3 dollops to create the next pancake until your pan is comfortable full. Let the pancakes cook for about 2-3 minutes until bubbles begin to form, then flip over.
Once the pancakes are cooked through remove from the pan and keep warm till ready to serve. Serve the pancakes with free range bacon and maple syrup for a decadent weekend breakfast.
Note: These pancakes are lovely with whipped coconut cream and poached fruit!
nutritional information for banana oat pancakes
- Mix up your toppings as you desire when serving. For a meat free version try fresh berries and yoghurt or whipped coconut cream and poached pears.
- To make these pancakes gluten free simply use quinoa flakes instead of the oat bran.
- If you do not like five spice powder this can be omitted or swapped for cinnamon or vanilla extract.