This cake is moist and luscious, yet very low in sugar and refined carbohydrates. It is beautiful served warm with a dollop of vanilla yoghurt or goats curd.
chocolate brownie cake
- 8-10 people
- preparation time
- 20 minutes
- cooking time
- 40-50 minutes
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- 1/3 cup rice bran oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup 85% cocoa chocolate
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cocao powder
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F. Lightly grease a square 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
Sift together the cocoa powder, flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt into the bowl of your mixer. Gently heat on a low heat one cup of the chocolate untill just melted and then stir in vanilla and maple syrup. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined.
Mix together mashed banana, rice brain oil and rice milk. Fold in this mixture into the chocolate batter. Add extra milk if needed. Spoon mixture into pan and spread evenly.
Bake for 40 -50 minutes The cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let cool at room temperature before serving.
- Add a coconut flavour to this cake by switching the rice bran oil for coconut oil and omitting the vanilla.
- Xanthan gum is a gluten free binder that will help hold the flours together. You could also use guar gum.
- Cocoa provides minerals such as magnesium which helps relax muscles, therefore reducing muscle twitching and cramping.